Energy Saving Tips
Energy Saving - Heating and cooling accounts for about 60 per cent of an average home’s energy costs.
Energy Saving Tips for the winter months
- Install a programmable thermostat with a built-in timer. You can set it to lower the heat by a few degrees at night and when you are away.
- Check for drafts and leaks. Caulking and weather-stripping are simple and inexpensive solutions that will prevent heat from escaping the home.
- Clean the air filter on your furnace every month to improve efficiency.
Energy Saving Tips for the summer months
- Avoid running your air conditioner from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays as much as possible. If you are home during this peak period, try cooling off with a fan first.
- Cool your home to 25°C instead of the low 20s. Use a portable fan and/or ceiling fan in conjunction with your air conditioner to stay cool.
- Use timers to operate swimming pool pumps, filters and heaters during off-peak periods when prices are lowest. Keep the filter clean for greater efficiency.
- Use a solar blanket to keep swimming pools warm overnight. Alternatively, solar pool heaters (approximately $3000 to $5000) can be a cost-effective purchase when you consider the costs of equipment, installation and fuel for a traditional heater.
Please contact us at 416-271-9483 or go to our contact us page to submit a contact request form.